1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY wooden camper build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 3.4goforever, May 2, 2024.

1. May 2, 2024 at 10:16 AM
    3.4goforever

3.4goforever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aiden
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner 3.4
    I have my 6ft bed in my extended cab first gen and I’ve had such a hard time finding a high rise camper shell that has enough height for me and my girlfriend and my dog to travel in for long periods of time. I have a cab height camper right now and it’s just not tall enough for us anymore. I’m looking into starting a DIY wooden camper so I can customize my own needs but I had a very important question that I’m sure I’ll get answers for lol how could I attack the camper to the truck without damaging the bed or drilling? Is there a reliable and strong way to attach it as I’m building the frame or is drilling and mounting to the bed sides by best option? Id prefer not to but if it’s my only option I can work with it. Thanks!

2. May 2, 2024 at 11:37 AM
    Red_03Taco

Red_03Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerad
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4WD
    I would go with a flatbed first, and then build a wooden camper on top of that and secure it in a removable way (like heavy duty ratchet straps secured to the eyelets built into the flatbed). There's a YouTube channel (name escapes me at the moment) where the guy did exactly that on an old F350, and it came out awesome. Not so sure a Tacoma is well-suited for that approach though

*Edit the YouTube channel is: Truck House Life

The gold standard likes this.
  3. May 2, 2024 at 12:22 PM
    The gold standard

The gold standard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    Green 03 v6
    If going flatbed isnt the move for you, just notch the "bottom plate" of your wood camper so you can get a cap clamp on. Or use something like 5/4 decking that wont need a notch.

Id also heavily advise against build a camper like an exterior wall, bc with framing sheathing and siding youll have a heavy cap. My current cap is made from 3/4" ply for the walls, skinned in aluminum, and has 2x2 "rafters" that the roof is supported by. I wouldnt want it any heavier.

ControlCar likes this.
  4. May 2, 2024 at 1:21 PM
    MagicToolbox

MagicToolbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022DCSB MT TRD OffRoad in Lunar Rock
    Purchased Toyota Certified, with Vijay bumpers, additional lights, and Falken Wildpeaks on Fuel rims. Prev owner apparently painted the grill.
    I've been doom scrolling the DIY channels looking for similar things. I valued the manual transmission over the 6 foot bed, so I'm stuck with a shorty. I binge watched a series by Travelling By Tacoma where he put together a very nice build out of wood.

@Ripcord here on TW has an extensive build thread for an aluminum cap and camper shell, as well as plans available on his website IIRC.

time623 likes this.
  5. May 2, 2024 at 1:41 PM
    time623

time623 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 White Tacoma 4x4
    If you want to keep the bed, and diy it, I would definitely go the Ripcord route. Most cost effective most likely as well.
    Or if you're stuck on a wood build, do a flatbed first.

Theres also prebuilt options like GFCs, Wildernests, Flippacs (flippacs are the coolest)
    Or get a shell support fabbed up and put an RTT on the one you have.

6. May 2, 2024 at 1:42 PM
    ControlCar

ControlCar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Sugar Land TX
    Vehicle:
    1996 Taco 2.4L 2wd Automatic
    Stocker
    the weight of the wood/wood wear/deterioration would scare me

any RV has same issue(weight)

RV companies use 2 materials (one is a bonded wall...WAY TOO expensive...a sandwich of filon(thin fiberglass)/1" foam/thin luan(wood))
    the other is a simple filon sheet:

https://www.recpro.com/rv-fiberglass-filon-siding-8-5-wide-arctic-white/?
    utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=primaryshopping&campaignid=10108288062&adgroupid=107415455739&keyword=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7O-cseXvhQMVvEdHAR3-UgODEAQYASABEgLV0_D_BwE

the other material is used for enclosed trailers
    8X4 aluminum sheets

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/a...MI5_zBk-rvhQMVhEVHAR2a2AxBEAQYASABEgIbPvD_BwE

both the above would solve the wood weight issue
    hope this helps!

MagicToolbox likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top